Thursday, August 1, 2013

TVXOHOF, 07/2013 - KBEX


I've spoken of "serendipiteevee" in the past - it's the name I've coined for those moments of TV magic that give me the opportunity to discover something quite by chance as I flip around the dial.  

Here's my latest example - I was watching 'Rizzoli & Isles' and decided to check out the four big retro channels [TV Land, Me-TV, Antenna TV, and COZI-Tv] during the commercial break.  And I tuned in to 'Charlie's Angels' just in time for this establishing shot:


I looked up KBEX in Wikipedia and it has racked up quite a few appearances or mentions in the Los Angeles area:

KBEX-TV (in television):
  • 'Barnaby Jones'
  • 'Brady Bunch'
  • 'Charlie's Angels'
  • 'Columbo' (Season 2, Episode 6)
  • 'Emergency!'
  • 'Mannix'
  • 'Starsky & Hutch'
  • '$weepstake$' (Channel 6, Hollywood)
  • 'What's Happening!!'

KBEX also showed up in 'Mission: Impossible' and 'MacGyver', but I don't know if those particular episodes took place in L.A.

Definitely its use in 'Walker, Texas Ranger' and 'Crazy Like a Fox' were in other locations - Texas O'Bviously for the former and San Francisco for the latter, where it was also on Channel 6 as in '$weepstake$'.

But the splainin for that could be chalked up to KBEX being a "super station" like WGN and TBS here in the real world.  And according to 'MacGyver', it has a sister outlet in a radio station as well.

So while I'm thinking of it before my fading memory forgets, I'm inducting KBEX into the media section of the TV Crossover Hall Of Fame, where it can take up space alongside the Los Angeles Tribune, the New York Ledger, and the ever popular Playmate magazine.

[There will be another induction later this month that ties into our TV Western showcase theme for August.]

BCnU!

No comments: