Monday, November 7, 2011

"PAGE EIGHT" IN TOOBWORLD


Just about half an hour ago, I finished watching "Page Eight" on 'Masterpiece Contemporary'. It was an MI-5 thriller, an old school descendent of Le Carre by David Hare. It starred Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon, Rachel Weisz, Ralph Fiennes, Judy Davis, Alice Krige, Felicity Jones, and Sakia Reeves.

Until Fiennes actually entered the picture in the second hour, "Page Eight" could have existed in Earth Prime-Time. It certainly was a story that probably is based in truth, so that it could have taken place in the real world for that matter.

But Fiennes played the Prime Minister, Alec Beasley. And in Toobworld, the Prime Minister, like the President of the United States, should reflect who really is in office; because odds are that man (or woman) will likely be mentioned in some other fictional program. (I know I could look it up, but as of this moment, I really have no clue who holds the position. It doesn't seem to be that colorful or important a role since Tony Blair's day - at least from my blinkered, Ugly American P.O.V.)

As I watched the program (and I highly recommend it by the way, if for nothing else than to enjoy Nighy's style of acting and to luxuriate in the tones of Gambon's voice.), I kept my mind on the fact that it would most likely have to be jettisoned from Toobworld to some other TV dimension. So I looked for reasons why it could never be placed in the dimension of 'The West Wing', and I couldn't find any reason why not.

So I'm adding "Page Eight" to the list of shows that share the same TV dimension as 'The West Wing', which also includes 'Mr. Sterling', 'Smallville', and maybe 'Boss', 'Outlaw', and 'Castle' (depending on if they ever mention Obama....)

BCnU!

No comments: