Sunday, October 2, 2011

"THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW" 50th ANNIVERSARY BLOGATHON!


October 3, 1961 - 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' debuts on CBS.

That's right - 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' is fifty years old Monday!  (Already today as I'm writing this.)

I've been watching the series in a somewhat marathon fashion and there are very few signs of age about it - mostly in a few topical jokes, societal attitudes, and that it's in black & white (although that does lend itself to establishing the time frame in which the series takes place.)  Otherwise, its comedy and production values are still crisp and relevant and just plain funny.

My blogging buddy Ivan Shreve of  "Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear" is hosting a blogathon today in celebration of this Camelot of Sitcoms, and I think there are at least fifty blogs out there who have pledged to take part in the festivities.  As for "us" here at Toobworld Central, there should be 24 posts total by the time the day is through.  That's right - one every hour!  And if a little tidbit comes up, maybe I'll toss in a quick blurb about that as well.

I've done the marathon posting routine in the past - just this August we celebrated 'The Rifleman' for our annual TV Western summer tradition.  But that was just one post a day for the month.  I have done the 24 hour routine before, the annual "Who's On First" celebration of 'Doctor Who' every New Year's Day for the last couple of years.  But with 'Doctor Who', the topics are practically inexhaustible, with a 30+ years supply of material to draw from.  I've found plenty to work with from 'The Dick Van Dyke Show', but it's just a matter of allotting the time - good thing Monday is my day off!

I hope you enjoy the posts that will be found here today, but I also hope you'll click over to that TDOY post and check out the links to all of the other blogs that are celebrating this diamond of a sitcom, the one against which all other sitcoms must be judged.....


BCnU!

No comments: